Legal Requirements

Australian Law requires a Notice of Intended Marriage to be lodged at least one month, and not more than 18 months, before the wedding. Cheryl is able to provide this form.

You must show your original Birth Certificate or a Passport to your celebrant. If you do not have your Birth Certificate, contact the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages in the state where you were born to obtain a copy. You should also provide current proof of identity, such as a driver’s licence. If your name has changed since birth, you should also show a Change of Name Certificate or Marriage Certificate to show proof.

If either of you has been married before,

  • if divorced, your Celebrant must sight your Divorce Certificate.
  • if widowed, your Celebrant must sight the Death Certificate of your late spouse.